Re: Cygwin passes through null writes to other software when redirecting standard input/output (i.e. piping)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:08:23AM +0100, cygwin-alanhowells.e4ward.com wrote:
>Christopher Faylor says
>> Nope, it won't always be that because I get what's expected.  I built
>> the C++ files using mingw g++.  Although I actually expected the reader
>> to honor the null byte, it did not.  Perhaps you are using a different
>> version of Windows than I am or a different runtime.
>
>But the point by James is that it is the VC++ runtimes (and .NET
>runtimes) that think that a null write is EOF. Other runtimes may not
>(e.g. mingw).

I was reporting what I found with the tools I have at hand.  My
experience refutes the use of the word "always".  The whole point
of my mentioning "a different runtime" was to show that I understood
that others' mileage varies.  I wasn't saying that I don't believe
what's being reported.

>I agree with James that the runtimes are probably buggy BUT I also
>agree that cygwin should be able to have a handle these scenarios.

Your complete agreement with each other is not going to have much
effect.  Cygwin source code is not changed by voting.

cgf