xargs: Why does order of command line switches matter?

Why do I get a different output in the following two invocations of
xargs? I had expected that the relative order of the command line
switches (-I, -L) would not matter:

$ ls | xargs -I DIR -L 1 echo DIR
DIR wontprint.txt
DIR x.cmd
DIR x.pl
DIR x.sh
$ ls | xargs -L 1 -I DIR echo DIR
wontprint.txt
x.cmd
x.pl
x.sh

xargs (GNU findutils) 4.5.9
Packaged by Cygwin (4.5.9-2)

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronaldf@eml.cc>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,