Re: Problems with nfs

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJFFM.  I'm using SFU/Vista/W7 NFS all the
time to build packages and keeping the share on my Linux box.  The
availability of MSFT NFS in Vista and W7 (albeit only in the expensive
versions) was a reason to add MSFT NFS support explicitely to Cygwin.
If you want NFS shares preferred over SMB shares, you have to change
the provider order (Network and Sharing Center ->  Change adapter
settings ->  Advanced ->  Advanced Settings... ->  Provider Order).
NFS Network must be higher inb the list than Microsoft WIndows Network.
Corina, I'm a consultant. This means my work environment often changes. It also means that I do not have as much clout to tell a fortune 500 company to change their configurations just to make little ole' me happy. So I have to make do with what I have on hand. Having nfs-client in Cygwin might be one additional tool that I can control directly. Then again, the nfs-client may not have solved this problem anyway. I'm not sure.

Thanks for some of these pointers. I'll pass them around. But it's my understanding that the remote file server is a Netapp, not a Windows box. Also, I don't have Win 7. I have plain old XP. It's common.
And make sure the uid/gid mapping is set up correctly (Windows 2008
AD mapping works fine, see the "UNIX Attributes" tab in the user/group
properties dialog in the "Active Directory Users and Computers" MMC
Snap-in).
I don't think there's an MMC snap-in on a Netapp...
And make sure the security settings in the NFS client (starting with W7)
are correct.  If the NFS server doesn't support krb5 authentication,
you should explicitly switch them off in the "Services for Network
File System" MMC Snap-in.  Also, make sure that "reserved ports" is
enabled for best interoperability.
As I said, I don't have Win 7 - just XP. I had uninstalled SFU because I saw no way to solve this problem. Perhaps some of your settings above are transferable to the Netapp and they will set them and then I can try again.
That's one of the
problems I'm trying to solve. My hope was that with an NFS client in
Cygwin it would do the NFS mount.
Still, an NFS client isn't just some arbitrary piece of software, it's a
filesystem driver, like ntfs.sys.  There's no OSS code available which
provides this kind of FS driver for Windows.
I admit that NFS client is involved, a driver, in the kernel, etc. But isn't there SFU already coded? I guess the source isn't readily available if at all. I think that having an NFS client would be beneficial to all as NFS protocol seems to be way faster than SMB and more conducive to the "Linux/Cygwin" environment.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.