Re: cygwin 1.7.13-1: can't execute shell scripts on samba share

Greetings, Michel Bardiaux!

>>> I have also tried the same as you did (len.sh on a samba share) and
>>> saw the same problem. Then I saw that the len.sh got a (cygwin *and*
>>> linux) mode of -rwxrw-r-- *without* doing any chmod. Then I saw that
>>> *every* file I create on the samba share, gets the same mode!
>>
>> testparm -s
>> please.

> Yes, this explains a lot - but not completely. The relevant lines being
> the create masks:

> 0744 for global, 0755 for homes (the relevant share in my case), 0022 as
> cygwin umask.

> I would expect files created on the cygwin side to have 0755 on the
> linux side (or possibly masked by global and/or umask). I do not see how
> I end up with 0764.

I can't tell much either, but take this as a note:
create mask = what bits can be set by client at creation time.
security mask = what bits can be edited afterward.
create mode = default bits to be set.
force mode = bits that will be enforced on resulting mask.

I'll leave a live example from one of my live servers:

[D]
        comment = Projects
        path = /home/.shares/d
        force group = DomainUsers
        read only = No
        create mask = 0775
        force create mode = 0664
        security mask = 0775
        force security mode = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775
        directory security mask = 0775
        force directory security mode = 0775

What this does is the following:
It makes sure that directories and files inside are owned by DomainUsers group.
It makes sure that group have at least read and write access to the files.
It makes sure that group and guests have listing and traverse rights on directories.

Another point of note: from my memory, samba fakes ACLs to represent
permissions. This may include many strange things.
For example, most of that ^^ directory content has 0777 perms, but when I
look from Cygwin, it coming out more granular.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...