Re: 1.7.10->1.7.13 : output from .NET programs does not get through pipeline to a visual c++ program

Thank you very much James for the helpful comments and pointer to your
sample program.

I have some more information and I tried to minimise .NET and so wrote
the program in C++, compiled with "cl /EHs consoleout.cxx /link"

>>> begin consoleout.cxx
#include <windows.h>

int
main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    DWORD written;

    // Get standard output file handle
    HANDLE h = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

    // Do a null write.  This is what .net does.
    WriteFile(h, "", 0, &written, NULL);

    for (int i = 1; i < argc; ++i) {
        DWORD toWrite = strlen(argv[i]);
    	WriteFile(h, argv[i], toWrite, &written, NULL);
    	WriteFile(h, "\n", 1, &written, NULL);
    }

    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
<<< end consoleout.cxx

The strange thing here is that I get the issue on the first time (but
not the second or third):
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
hello
world
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
hello
world
$

Now one must recompile the consoleout program to get it to fail again.
This bit seems to work intermittently, if it doesn't fail, recompile
the consoleout exe again and then try again.

As a test, I decided to change the readin program to use just windows
API (instead of std::cin and std::cout), compiled with "cl /EHs
readin.cxx /link":

>>> begin readin.cxx
#include <windows.h>

int
main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    static_cast<void>(argc);
    static_cast<void>(argv);

    HANDLE hi = GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE);
    HANDLE ho = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

    char buf[1024];
    DWORD read, written;
    ReadFile(hi, buf, 1024, &read, NULL);
    WriteFile(ho, buf, read, &written, NULL);

    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
>>> end readin.cxx

The issue remains:
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
hello
world
$ ./consoleout hello world | ./readin
hello
world
$

Hopefully, we have narrowed it down a little further,

Alan