Re: Why /usr/bin/*.dll must be executable?

On 4/23/2012 2:15 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 4/23/2012 3:01 PM, Warren Young wrote:
Options 2-5 in the list at the page linked above don't really apply here.
Cygwin purposely keeps itself nice and segregated from the rest of the
system, so installing DLLs under c:\Windows isn't an option, and CWD is
simply useless for our purpose here.

While the windows and system directories aren't a great place to be putting DLLs that don't belong to the O/S in some way (and indeed Windows tries to discourage it actively in recent versions by keeping it off limits to users without sufficient privileges), why do you think Cygwin apps wouldn't see a DLL it needed if it were in one of these locations?

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm just saying that installing Cygwin DLLs under %SYSTEMROOT% would cross the grain of the Cygwin installation philosophy. It would complicate uninstallation, perhaps to the point that someone decides we now need an automatic uninstaller.

As it is, manual uninstallation is easy and rare enough that the biggest problem we see with it is people not finding the FAQ item.