RE: Some context is being stripped and I don't know how to create it to avoid "error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" problem

Richard Troy wrote on April 14, 2012 12:47 PM
>Did that, though once again I ran into the ole cygwin update /
>installation disaster that is <rant> based on the fact that something
>somewhere doesn't download and the installation doesn't complete properly
>and you have to manually figure out what didn't download, explicitly
>download that, and then, several tries later, you get a working
>installation. Why the cygwin population puts up with this and doesn't fix
>the installation script is beyond my pay grade... Heck, just giving us a
>single zip to get "everything" would be _so_ less problematic! -shrug-

Downloading one or two packages (and their dependencies) at a time can
help.

Another strategy is to download the packages in one run of setup and
install from local in a second run.

The above are not mutually exclusive.

Post-install scripts that exit with non-zero status can be run manually.
That can be instructive as to what happened.  There will be messages in
the archives that address this.

>installation. Why the cygwin population puts up with this and doesn't fix
>the installation script is beyond my pay grade... Heck, just giving us a

The developers have been working on improving setup and the overall
installation process since setup was introduced.  (Example:  The recent
addition of automatic rebasing.)

Please remember that the people who designed and wrote it also use it.
They answer questions and respond to complaints on this list.  Among their
design considerations is reliability and ease of use.  Getting questions
and complaints is not among their objectives.  (Nor is responding to them
is among their hobbies.)

SHTDI <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>.
PTC <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.

>the installation script is beyond my pay grade... Heck, just giving us a
>single zip to get "everything" would be _so_ less problematic! -shrug-
></rant>

FYI, cygwin used to be available as a zip.  (Actually, two zips, one for
developers and a smaller one for people like me who just wanted utilities.)
When setup was introduced, I didn't care for the change.  Now I would not
go back.  (Though I can see having an *initial* minimal base install in a
zip might be easier for some people, though setup would still be required
for any packages outside of the "base" category and for updates.)

Please consider how large an "everything" zip would have to be.  Then think
about re-downloading it every time a single package is updated.  Add in a
devoting gigabytes to programs that one may never use.  If downloads are
incomplete with individual packages, what are the odds of getting this
monster zip file intact?

When the switch was made from the zipped download to setup, it was for
reasons.  No one went to the trouble of programming setup just to make
installation difficult.  (See above.)

If that doesn't satisfy you, please remember the Cygwin developers' motto:
WJM <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM>.

- Barry
  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.