Re: Some context is being stripped and I don't know how to create it to avoid "error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" problem

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 09:46:55AM -0700, Richard Troy wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>
>> On 4/10/2012 6:15 PM, Richard Troy wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> The orphaned installations represent places where cygwin1.dlls are or were.
>> You want to make sure you clean them up.  No reason to leave around orphans
>> to trip and fall on.
>
>Done.
>
>> Also, since you're running 7 versions behind, updating
>> is recommended but, as you say, not obviously your problem.
>
>Did that, though once again I ran into the ole cygwin update /
>installation disaster that is <rant> based on the fact that something
>somewhere doesn't download and the installation doesn't complete properly
>and you have to manually figure out what didn't download, explicitly
>download that, and then, several tries later, you get a working
>installation. Why the cygwin population puts up with this and doesn't fix
>the installation script is beyond my pay grade... Heck, just giving us a
>single zip to get "everything" would be _so_ less problematic! -shrug-
></rant>

If something doesn't download properly the setup.exe is not supposed to
continue.  And, the next time you rerun setup.exe the file should be
downloaded correctly.  Setup.exe uses md5sums to try to ensure that what
it downloads is correct.

Maybe you found a bug in setup.exe but there is no way to know that
since you felt compelled to waste bandwidth venting rather than calmly
describing your problem.  If you'd care to file a proper bug report
then it's possible that someone will look into it.

Remeber:

Indignation != clue