Re: telnet to newsgroup

On 4/5/2012 10:14 AM, John wrote:
Hello. I read on another list about how one (presumably) Linux user connects
to newsgroups using one of two different methods on the command line. If I
am not mistaken, both use telnet.  The two different commands he used to
illustrate them are these:

You can use STARTTLS on the nntp port (119):

   $ echo -e 'HELP\nQUIT\n' | nc news.gmane.org nntp | grep TLS
     STARTTLS
   $

or you can connect to the nntps port (563):

   $ gnutls-cli --insecure -p nntps news.gmane.org | grep 200
   200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
   QUIT
   $

The second of these is using a program called "gnutls-cli", which is that is available to cygwin. I have cygwin on my system and I tied using the command at the Windows command prompt exactly like this:

gnutls-cli --insecure -p nntps news.gmane.org | grep 200

It did not work but I got an error back:

  "Cannot resolve news.gmane.org:nntps: servname not supported
for the ai_socktype."

What am I missing in order to make this work? Thanks.

Cygwin creates a symlink for /etc/services -> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/services. I don't find an entry for nttps in /etc/services, really WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services. I do find it on Linux:

   Linux:grep nttps /etc/services
   nntps           563/tcp                         # NNTP over SSL

   Cygwin:grep nttps /etc/services
   Cygwin:

You could try adding the line to /etc/services or somehow specifying port 563 to gnutls-cli.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Cranial-rectal inversion disorder - a condition where one's head is where one's butt should be and vice-versa, causing an otherwise sensible person to make an ass of himself.