Re: chmod problem

On Apr  4 13:16, Karl M wrote:

> Hi All...
>

> On a recent Cygwin install on a new win7-64 machine, I ran into a problem. The ssh service would not start because the protection on the /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key was too weak. (I use only the rsa host key.)
>
> If I chmod the file to 600, all is well. But...if I do it within a shell script, the chmod has no effect. Below is a short test case and a bash -x run of the script?
>

> $ cat test-config
> chown administrators /etc/ssh*
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> $ cat test-config
> chown administrators /etc/ssh*
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
>

> $ bash -x test-config
> + chown administrators /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/sshd_config
> + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> + chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> mode of `/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key' changed from 0660 (rw-rw----) to 0600 (rw-------)
> + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
>
> This test was on a fresh (1.7.12) from this morning.

There's your problem:  The Administrators group and the root group
are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
with SID S-1-5-32-544.  So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.

Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
not the admins group.

Corinna

Red Hat