Re: sshd not doing key based authentication

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 03:26:39PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Rurik Christiansen!
> > I'm trying to make sshd to do key based authentication.
> > I am guessing that is probably a problem of permissions but can't figure
> > it out.
> > All I found was this email:
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-11/msg00212.html
> > which basically says RTFM
> > Well, I did RTFM, I followed the instructions. all looks OK as far as I
> > can see but still no go.
>
> Read logs on both sides, of course.
> The most common issue is access rights on key files.

Check for PubkeyAuthentication, StrictModes, AllowUsers, AllowGroups,
AuthorizedKeysFile in the server side (whether they exist and how they are
defined), read the manpage for detailed info on this options
(sshd_config(5)).
Try setting LogLevel to DEBUG.
Provide a 'ssh -vvv user@host' test connection.
You don't give enough info to figure out what the problem might be.

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56