Re: 1.7.11-1 Update returns non-zero exit codes for coreutils

On 3/30/2012 2:49 PM, Andrew Stein wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin<reply-to-list-only-lh<at> cygwin.com> writes:

On 3/29/2012 9:10 PM, Brian Wilson wrote:
From: Andrew

I just got this exact same thing and tried re-installing coreutils with no effect. Initially, I had been installing binutils, and was told to restart because I had left a cygwin console open during the install. Interested to hear what is known about this (recent) issue.

Interesting... I didn't have any consoles open (that I remember) during
the
update, but I've rebooted and done an update since this issue surfaced
(again
with no console open) and it hasn't resolved. I've been wondering if I
should
remove the C:\cygwin directories and try installing again. I'm hoping I
won't
have to do something that drastic.

I'd recommend making sure all Cygwin processes are stopped (including services) and try installing the cygwin and coreutils package again, along with anything else you'd like to include. If you're still having problems, cygcheck output will be helpful in any follow-up.

So, Larry, are you talking about un-/reinstalling cygwin entirely*?  Also,
does cygwin dev monitor this chat in case this is a bug?  If not, is there a
better place to report such an issue?

I'm suggesting reinstalling the packages in question with any other package you think might be affected. Of course, it's likely that if you re-run 'setup.exe' now (grabbing the newest one from cygwin.com of course), you'll get the newest cygwin package (1.7.12) even without asking for it to be reinstalled, since a new package for it has come out since your posting.

The Cygwin development team is on this list.  This is the list to report
issues with Cygwin usage, with the exception of Cygwin X issues which should
go to the cygwin-xfree list.

Couple of other points.  In searching some of the error codes (eg. "command
not found" message), I also added "c:\cygwin\bin" to my PATH and created env
variable CYGWIN_HOME as "c:\cygwin".  This stopped the "command not found"
message, though ls output was still empty.

Could be BLODA <http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.bloda>. But perhaps it makes the most sense to see a problem report if you're still having difficulties after trying my suggestion.

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

-- Larry