Re: error mounting smb shared with ~ in name

> Thorsten Kampe <thorsten <at> thorstenkampe.de> writes:
>

> > * Daniel D (Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:52:35 -0700)
> > >
> > > Is ~ allowed on a smb share name when mounting it? I keep getting errors
> > > while trying to mount //server/~foo via fstab.
> > >
> > > If yes, can someone give me some tips for what to do to mount a share
> > > named
> > > \\server\~foo ?
> > > [...]
> > > It looks like mount command does not like ~ in the smb share name,
> > though it
> > > is fine with ~ in the the mount point name.
> >
> That's a shell issue not a mount issue. ~foo refers to the home
> directory of user foo. Either escape the ~ or quote the argument
> containing the ~.

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for the quick reply, however I still could not make it work:
    mount //server/\176foo /mnt/foo
prints out no error, as if everything works out, however
    ls /mnt/foo
errors out with 'no such file or directory'.
>From my experiments, the mount is not performed successfully in spite of
no errors printed out. The mount commands succeeds only because
//server/\176foo path is interpreted as //server/176foo; and since it is not
checked for existence, doing the subsequent ls /mnt/foo prints out
the error.

Moreover, in the same shell (bash/mintty), this works:
    ls //server/~foo
(returns the right set of files), so if this is truly a shell issue,
why does ls work?
As a side note, ls //server/\176foo does not work (prints out 'No such file
or directory').

If you (or anyone else) have any other ideas, I would appreciate it.
Lastly, has anyone tried this and got it to work on their machine using the
current cygwin version? If yes, can you please post your exact
fstab entry (or mount command)?

BTW, the mount version I'm using is 1.7.11 (I updated cygwin couple of days
ago).

TIA,
Daniel