Env variable USER

It seems that my latest frenzy of setups (the ones that first screwed
up, then failed to fix, then at last fixed, coreutils) had some nasty
side effects. The first I see is that USER is no longer defined in the
environment, at least for bash in mintty. Quite likely one of the bash
config files in /etc that is supposed to set it up (at least I assume
supposed to!), has been damaged, but has not been rebuilt because setup
considers it a "customized" file.

Note that I am 100% sure USER *was* set about 1 week ago, since an app
that worked then, now crashes because getenv("USER") return NULL.

Hence, 2 (related) questions:

1. Is USER supposed to be set?
2. If yes, by what script or process?

Tia