Re: File operations really slow in emacs

On Feb 14 12:46, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>What if we parsed the mount table instead of calling readdir? I
> >>don't know how that's computed, but it's never been a performance
> >>problem, it only shows drives that are actually connected [...]
> >What mount table?  Cygwin's?  It calls GetFileAttributes on the drive's
> >root dir as well...
> This is bizarre... what would cause calls to the same Windows API
> function behave so differently when called by stat vs ls vs
> bash-autocomplete? I'm happy to accept that there's some weirdness
> on my box, but I would have expected that weirdness to be consistent
> at any given instant in time (either all go slow or all behave
> normally).

SMB just is not consistent.  More often than not the timing behaviour is
just plain puzzeling.  And, btw., in *my* testing I got hangs in mount
as well if I disabled the remote share.  But only once.  Subsequent
calls were fast.  And after enabling the remote share, mount happily
ignored that fact for about a minute or so.  Caching, anybody?

Corinna

Red Hat