Re: Documentation on -mno-cygwin Accuracy

On 02/08/2012 09:49 AM, Jesse Ziser wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 11:58 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 05:14:59PM -0600, Jesse Ziser wrote:
>>> If you really want Mingw (a free compiler and development environment
>>> for Windows), maybe what you should do is just download and install
>>> Mingw, and use that, instead of doing it through the Cygwin compiler
>>> using a barely-supported option.  (Then you should get help with any
>>> problems you have over at Mingw's website instead of here.)
>>
>> The MinGW cross-compiles are not "barely supported".  They are included
>> in the distribution precisely so that people can build pure-windows
>> programs under Cygwin.
>
> Oh?  Then I got the wrong impression from the documentation and the
> mailing list when I was trying to work all that out a few years ago.  I
> can't find it now, but I could swear there was something about it being
> "deprecated" or "partially supported" or something.

I think there is a tiny misunderstanding here.  I believe that Jesse was
talking about the -mno-cygwin option when he spoke of "using a
barely-supported option".  Chris seems to have misinterpreted that to
mean that MinGW cross-compilers themselves were claimed to be
"barely-supported".

The -mno-cygwin option for GCC v3 was certainly deprecated for some time
now and announced in the mailing list as I recall, and support for it
always seemed uncertain at best to me.  As of GCC v4, that option is
dead; however, the MinGW cross compilers included with Cygwin continue
to have full support.

I hope I didn't just add to the confusion here. :-)

-Jeremy