Re: Problems with updating nearly any package meant for Cygwin or using packages such as libtool

On 11/17/2011 1:15 PM, viper_88 wrote:

If only compiling and installing Hydra in real life was so easy, I wouldn't be writing about things that don't work. First things first, though... Let me tell you, from begining to end, what I have got through first to end up with having problems using and/or updating libtool as said in the very title. When I want to compile Hydra, I get this: Hubert@Hubert-PC ~ $ cd Hydra

Hubert@Hubert-PC ~/Hydra
$ ./configure

Starting hydra auto configuration ...

Checking for openssl (libssl, libcrypto, ssl.h, sha.h) ...
                                                        ... found
Checking for idn (libidn.so) ...
                              ... NOT found, unicode logins and passwords
will no
t be supported
Checking for pcre (libpcre.so, pcre.h) ...
                                        ... NOT found, server response checks
wil
l be less reliable
Checking for Postgres (libpq.so, libpq-fe.h) ...
                                              ... NOT found, module postgres
disa
bled
Checking for SVN (libsvn_client-1 libapr-1.so libaprutil-1.so) ...
                                                                ... NOT
found, mo
dule svn disabled
Checking for firebird (libfbclient.so) ...
                                        ... NOT found, module firebird
disabled
Checking for MYSQL client (libmysqlclient.so, math.h) ...
                                                       ... NOT found, module
Mysq
l will not support version>  4.x
Checking for AFP (libafpclient.so) ...
                                    ... NOT found, module Apple Filing
Protocol d
isabled - Apple sucks anyway
Checking for NCP (libncp.so / nwcalls.h) ...
                                          ... NOT found, module NCP disabled
Checking for SAP/R3 (librfc/saprfc.h) ...
                                       ... NOT found, module sapr3 disabled
Get it from http://www.sap.com/solutions/netweaver/linux/eval/index.asp
Checking for libssh (libssh/libssh.h) ...
                                       ... NOT found, module ssh disabled
Get it from http://www.libssh.org
Checking for Oracle (libocci.so libclntsh.so / oci.h) ...
                                                       ... NOT found, module
Orac
le disabled
Checking for GUI req's (pkg-config, gtk+-2.0) ...
                                               ... found

Hydra will be installed into .../bin of: /usr/local
   (change this by running ./configure --prefix=path)

Writing Makefile.in ...

Cygwin detected, if compilation fails just update your installation.

Windres found, will attach icons to hydra cygwin executables

now type "make"

Hubert@Hubert-PC ~/Hydra
$

As you can easily see, most of the stuff is missing. It's a bit odd, though,
since when I look for, say, pcre (which I definitely had installed), I get
this:

Hubert@Hubert-PC ~
$ apt-cyg find pcre
Working directory is /setup
Mirror is ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin
--2011-11-16 22:31:12--  ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin/setup.bz2
            =>  `.listing'
Resolving mirror.mcs.anl.gov (mirror.mcs.anl.gov)... 146.137.96.7,
146.137.96.15
, 2620:0:dc0:1800:214:4fff:fe7d:1b9
Connecting to mirror.mcs.anl.gov (mirror.mcs.anl.gov)|146.137.96.7|:21...
connec
ted.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==>  SYST ... done.    ==>  PWD ... done.
==>  TYPE I ... done.  ==>  CWD (1) /pub/cygwin ... done.
==>  PASV ... done.    ==>  LIST ... done.

[<=> ] 1,043 --.-K/s in 0s

2011-11-16 22:31:14 (4.76 MB/s) - `.listing' saved [1043]

Removed `.listing'.
--2011-11-16 22:31:14--  ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin/setup.bz2
            =>  `setup.bz2'
==>  CWD not required.
==>  PASV ... done.    ==>  RETR setup.bz2 ... done.
Length: 276018 (270K)

100%[======================================>] 276,018 169K/s in 1.6s

2011-11-16 22:31:16 (169 KB/s) - `setup.bz2' saved [276018]

Updated setup.ini

Searching for installed packages matching pcre:
libpcre-devel
libpcre0
libpcrecpp-devel
libpcrecpp0
pcre

Searching for installable packages matching pcre:
libpcre-devel
libpcre0
libpcrecpp-devel
libpcrecpp0
pcre
pcre-devel

Hubert@Hubert-PC ~
$

pcre is installed already, so I have no idea why Cygwin says it is not (I
also thought I had postgres, but instead I found postgresql which seems not
to be what's needed). Generally speaking, most of the packages is missing,
so the compiled Hydra would lack many of its capabilities (and that I don't
want). The reason for which I started looking around was to gather
everything and make everything work. So that is one thing. The other one is
that when I wanted to update libstdc++, in order to later work with GCC, I
got this:

Dear Hubert, the problem is that the configure scripts incorrectly looks for libpcre.so that on cygwin is called differently:

/usr/bin/cygpcre-0.dll

so you need to modify the configure accordingly or
remove the test and leave only the check for "pcre.h"

same for libidn /usr/bin/cygidn-11.dll

libpq /usr/bin/cygpq.dll

and so on.
These are upstream bugs in configure, looking for the lib
is wrong as different platforms have different conventions.
They should only look for the header.

libstdc++ is also available on cygwin

$ cygcheck -c -d |grep c++
libstdc++6                     4.5.3-3
libstdc++6-devel               4.5.3-3

please install gcc4-g++ if you want to compile C++

Regards Marco