Strange freezing in emacs

Hi all,

I just installed a big mess of windows updates and rebooted, and ever since emacs seems to have trouble with subprocesses: when attempting to read mercurial revision info for a file or running make, it sometimes freezes for 5-10 seconds without doing anything at all (no disk, no cpu), then suddenly responds lightning fast as if nothing had happened. It doesn't happen every time, and I don't get any of the usual fork failure error messages (plus I just barely rebased to no avail).

I'm perfectly willing to blame this on Windows, but does anybody have pointers on how I might diagnose the issue?

Thanks,
Ryan