displaying Chinese radicals

cygwin xterm or rxvt does a good job when it comes to displaying Chinese
characters, but it doesn't have fonts for all the Chinese radicals.  maybe
half of them show up as "SQUARES".  the ones that do show up i can tell
cygwin did some substitutions--i.e. dug up other fonts when current font
doesn't have this glyph.

can somebody give me some advice on this?  on my mac machine the radicals
just magically appear, so i imagine the fonts should be available somewhere
in cygwin.  thanks!