Windows GUI apps and gid in Cygwin

Hi.

This is a little thing, no errors or gripes involved, but I'm more than curious to see if anything can be done to change it.

If I do an ls -lh on any file created or saved in a Windows app, such as XnView, I get this for a return string:
-rwx------+ 1 steve None 210336 2011-03-25 21:15 gae86-8660-015-007mvp.jpg
You'll notice the group is None. Now if I create a text file (empty or with text from nano or vim), I get this using the same stepped ls command
-rw-r--r--+ 1 steve resurgam 187 2011-10-02 12:23 thefourbears.txt

Would it have something to do with being in a login shell, in bash via mintty, while any Windows apps not primarily geared towards network or system-level tasks don't need one and therefore the group ID can't be set to the same thing? Or am I adding unnecessary complications to this?

Another two questions.
1. Is the group 'None' in etc/group necessary, or could Cygwin -- and by Cygwin I mean sshd and Net applications such as cUrl -- work just as well without it?
2. How much damage could I do if I were to remove "HelpAssist" group (or is it a user) from one of the relevant files in etc/ ? How quickly, IOW, would that map back to Windows and cause confusion?

Hope folks can answer these, if not right away then eventually.

Good times.

SJ Wright
--
"When stranded on a prehistoric planet, never throw a Scrabble letter Qinto a privet bush."
- Advice from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy