Re: Re: this really sucks - 37 seconds to do /usr/bin/ls

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, jan.kolar wrote:
jvsrvcs wrote:
OK , I was wrong.  I removed bash completion / git completion and on a
Virtual Box VM (windows xp pro x32 with cygwin installed)

/usr/bin/ls and most other commands take more than 30 seconds to complete.
The box is a quad core with 8GB ram and no other VM is running (host OS
is win 7 and cygwin runs blazingly fast).

I did not have this problem under Windows Virtual PC.  there must be
something I installed with the latest cygwin that is doing this.

/usr/bin/ls takes more than 36 seconds.

When I vi a file, I have to go take a break and come back for it to be
open in the editor.

any ideas?
If things like ls and vi are taking forever, doesn't it sound like your VM is borked or your hard drive is failing?