LaTeX not finding files in TEXINPUTS

I have recently upgraded my Cygwin to the latest (full) installation,
and noticed that my old trustworthy tetex has been replaced with
pdfetex. On running LaTeX I found that it could no longer find input
files pointed to by my TEXINPUTS environment variable, which is normally
set to

.:/home/gustav/share/texmf//:

There is an ls-R file there. This always worked before. This time I had
to redefine it  to

.:/home/gustav/share/texmf/tex/latex/elsevier:

to make it find elsarticle.cls.

It looks like the new pdfetex no longer understands "//", which used to
mean "search all subdirectories". Is there a new trick here that I don't
know about?

--
Zdzislaw (Gustav) Meglicki, Office of the Vice President for
Information Technology, Indiana University, 2709 E. 10th Street,