Re: login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

On 9/14/2011 14:25, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Question: in my experience sshd will not allow connections to users who
> have no password set, even when password-auth is not used. This happened
> on my wife's laptop, for example, where I ended up having to create a
> dummy user for myself that had a password, since she didn't want her
> account to have one.
>
> Does SYSTEM have some sort of password after all?

No, I don't think it has a password, especially since its use is
disallowed for user logins in the first place, but I can't find any
reference to back up my assertion at the moment.  I can't explain your
experience with password-less user accounts though.  I've never tried
that configuration with sshd myself.

Is it possible that you neglected to add your wife's account information
into /etc/passwd before attempting to log in using it?  You'll get
rejected by sshd just like you describe unless the account you're trying
to use is listed in there.  Having the correct SID listed in the user
information is critical.

-Jeremy