Re: SIGHUP on pty closure

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 06:55:06PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>On 25/07/2011 17.11, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> It seems that mc is correct in the expectation.
>>>
>>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/close.html
>>>
>>> "If fildes refers to the master side of a pseudo-terminal, and this is
>>> the last close, a SIGHUP signal shall be sent to the controlling
>>> process, if any, for which the slave side of the pseudo-terminal is the
>>> controlling terminal. It is unspecified whether closing the master side
>>> of the pseudo-terminal flushes all queued input and output."
>>>

>>> I don't find such implementation on cygwin
>>>
>>> fhandler_pty_master::close ()
>>>
>>> Am I looking in the wrong place ?
>>
>> (checked into this a little more)
>>
>> Sort of.  If the process is doing a read, it is supposed to detect that
>> the tty has been closed and a SIGHUP is supposed to be sent.  It is not
>> precisely the same thing as sending a SIGHUP when the master closes but
>> I'm surprised that, in principle, it doesn't amount to the same thing.
>>
>> Just see any of the SIGHUPs in fhandler_tty.cc.  They are all supposed
>> to be dealing with this scenario.
>>
>> So, unless bash is not waiting for input (which is unlikely) this should
>> work.
>
>except if bash is sleeping and waiting for signal (or sort of)
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Signals

"sleeping and waiting for signal" would mean that "bash is not waiting
for input".  If bash isn't waiting for input that would explain the
problem.  However, I would expect that bash, in this scenario, to be
waiting for input.  I was hoping you'd provide insight into whether that
was the case or not.

cgf