Gcc-mingw - check directory structure after updated my Cygwin from 1.5 to 1.7 (finally) before I read gcc-mingw announcement

I finally decided to go for the gusto and upgrade my Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7
and of course read the gcc-mingw announcement after the full upgrade.

I followed the instructions as shown here:

"
If you are reading this announcement AFTER having messed up your cygwin
installation, because you didn't follow these instructions or didn't
know about them, then see the section in this message
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-04/msg00015.html
that begins with "HELP!!!" and follow the suggestions there to "fix"
it."

I remove the mingw packages and documented in the above message and
checked the directory structure.  I then installed just the commpiler
packages it instructs to do and then step 5 says:

"5) Now, let's check: look in
    /usr/i686-pc-mingw32
   There should be three *directories* -- not symlinks -- present:
    bin
    include
    lib
   Assuming that is the case, NOW you can install some additional
   packages...
"

The /usr/i686-pc-mingw32 directory structure on my machine is different
than documented above.  Within /usr/i686-pc-mingw32 I have:
bin
lib
sys-root

and within sys-root I have
mingw
within mingw I find
bin
include
lib
share

I wanted to verify this setup and check if I understood step 5
correctly and is step 5 incorrect or is my install still not right.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

bk