untarring symlinks with ../ fails randomly

Dear all,
reposting, as the message did not get through to the mailing list yesterday:

The issue I have is exactly as described in
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2011-04/msg00299.html
I can reproduce this on a very similar Windows 7 host.
(To be precise, it seems hard to predict when creating symlinks fails;
I could say
that perhaps 20% of them, on average, are not created correctly (i.e.
I get files of size 0 instead)).

The machine in question is a few days old VMWare virtual host on
a (firewalled) campus network, and has no BLODA on it, as far as I can tell.
(the only things installed are Cygwin (fresh full install) and Google
Chrome, in fact).

The issue does not limit iself to tar archives created on Cygwin.
We ran into this while working on porting Sage (sagemath.org) Âto Cygwin.

Dmitrii