entering special symbols in mintty

If I use the default Cygwin.bat file, I can enter special
characters with the Alt key, but this doesn't work in
mintty, unless there's some option I've overlooked.

For example, to enter the copyright symbol (Â) in a standard
Windows application, including Command Prompt, I can hold
down the Alt key and type 0 1 6 9 on the keypad. This
doesn't work in mintty. Would this be a reasonable feature
to ask for?

For the record:

$ uname -rs
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.7(0.230/5/3)
$ mintty --version
mintty 0.9.6
(C) 2011 Andy Koppe
There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.1.10(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
$

--Ken Nellis