readdir truncates file names whose UTF-8 representation is longer than 255 bytes

Hi,
I'm using Cygwin 1.7.7 in UTF-8 mode. I have a file whose name is composed of Hebrew character, so the UTF-8 representation is longer than 255 characters.
Trying "ls -l" fails to list the file's attributes.
Using a short C program that loops through a directory (readdir()/stat()) shows that readdir() truncates the file name.
Is there any way around it? (using environment variable, fstab or system call other readdir - I want to keep UTF-8)

Thanks,
Uri.