Re: Mg3a - a version of Mg2a developed on Cygwin

On Feb 24 11:56, Bengt Larsson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Just a hint:
> >
> >When on Cygwin, you might better use Cygwin's(*) wcwidth function.  It's
> >based on the same code from Markus Kuhn, but it interacts with the
> >setlocale function to make sure that the width returned for the CJK
> >ambiguous width characters makes sense in the given locale.  Plus, it
> >supports a Cygwin-specific locale modifier '@cjknarrow' which allows the
> >user to modify this behaviour.  When using your own wcwidth, you're
> >giving up on this feature.
> >
> >Better yet, convert wide chars to wide strings and use the wcswidth
> >function.  In contrast to wcwidth, it can also handle surrogate pairs.
>
> I don't use surrogates. I only use UTF-8 and UTF-32. But using cygwin's
> wcwidth may be worth thinking about. I suppose it will be consistent
> with mintty that way; otherwise not?

Yes, I think Andy uses the system functions as well.

As for the wide char representation, wchar_t is UTF-16 on Cygwin, as on
the underlying Windows, and surrogate pairs are always possible.
You can't use any libc wide char function if you assume UTF-32.

> Using wcswidth isn't very useful in the editor because it has special
> requirements, like showing control characters with ^C.

Well, it's not really such a big problem to special case wide char
control values and just call wcswidth otherwise...

> That's one of the
> reasons I mostly wrote my own, all the special requirements. I always
> iterate of bytes, which are converted in a mode-dependent way to ints
> (UTF-32). Do you have a case-insensitive compare? Because I limited that
> to ASCII.

wcscasecmp and wcsncasecmp are both available.  But obviously they
use UTF-16, since wchar_t is UTF-16.

Corinna

Red Hat