Re: uptime not reporting CPU usage on Windows 7 (Possibly only when running in VMWare)

On 12/31/2010 01:11 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
IMHO it's 100% better than just outputting 0's. Putting out 0's gives you no
info at all!
Bollocks. You'd be the first to complain that those stupid Cygwin devs
don't even understand what an average is.
Hold on there Tonto! I said nothing of the sort. If you're gonna put words in my mouth then please refrain for claiming that I insulted somebody else in the manner you did above. I didn't say that the Cygwin devs didn't understand what a loadavg is and I hardly called them stupid. You should be ashamed of yourself for making such a leap of misjudgment and then pinning it on me!
The 0% tells you pretty
clearly that that information is not available.
I beg to differ. 0% is indistinguishable from "the machine was not busy at all". IOW it *could* say "that information was not available" and it *could* as easily say "the load avg was actually 0%". You can't tell so it's hardly "pretty clearly". Indeed reporting say a negative number would impart more information as the user would say "Huh?!?" and then perhaps the man page could explain that a negative number is returned because this information is not easily obtainable by Cygwin under Window. But reporting 0 is by definition ambiguous!
I beg to differ. I don't see how having 0 values is better than some
approximation of load. Surely Windows has some measurement of the number of
processes in the run queue.
And surely you'd be able to find it at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library.
Thanks for pointing out where they can find the info.
A simple count of the number of processes with CPU usage>  0
(minus the system idle) process would be a good start.
Hardly.
This is surely a subjective opinion. You're opinion is "hardly". Mine is "good start".
  The challenge here is to actually collect the data for the
last 15 minutes, so you'd be looking either at some sort of service
process waking up frequently to sample the CPU state, or some unholy
and unreliable scheme where Cygwin functions go off and do that every
now and then before doing their actual job.
While any of the 1, 5 or 15 minutes would be challenging as you say here, I still maintain that an instantaneous measure to substitute for at least the 1 minute figure would be an improvement over just putting out 0. You are free to maintain a different opinion just as I am free to hold this one.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to phish and he'll suck your bank account dry