Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: screen-4.0.3-6 (test release)

Johannes, thanks for trying it out.

> (1) It works. But it was awkward at first, since I cannot see the line
> splitting the screen.

Yes, that was my problem with it.  Too confusing without a visible divider.

I just tried the same feature on Ubuntu, and it works very differently
there:

* There's a vertical strip down the middle when you split the screen.

* The two vertical sides contain separate windows.  In Cygwin, they're two
views into the same window.

* The vertical split command is C-a |.

I wonder if Ubuntu is using an alternate or more recent patch.  I'll see
what I can find out about that.  I can't find anything in /etc/screenrc
that controls the vertical split (although I haven't combed it thoroughly
yet).

> (2) HowTo:
>
> ## short version for reference ##
> 1. start screen:
> $screen
>
> 2. split vertically
> [Ctrl][a]
> [V]
>
> 3. switch to other half
> [Ctrl][Tab]
>
> 4. create new screen
> [Ctrl][a]
> [c]

Thanks.  The screen info and man pages just write these as C-a V, C-a Tab,
C-a c.  No need for the more verbose version below, but thanks for
providing it.

Andrew.