Re: Instead of a gripe, a memory-jog.

On 22 September 2010 00:29, SJ Wright wrote:
>> Yes. I noticed where I had the territory mis-cased the next time I ran
>> wget. In the line that identified the file and URL for each download,
>> double-quotes and other punctuation became garbage characters, where they
>> hadn't been when I either had *no* LANG variable set or a correctly-written
>> one. So now it's fixed. Thanks again.

If LANG (and also LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE) aren't set, Cygwin defaults to
UTF-8. It's better to have it set though, because some programs such
as emacs default to plain ol' ASCII if the locale isn't set. That's
why LANG is set to C.UTF-8 during login shell startup (by
/etc/defaults/etc/profile.d/lang.sh). In other words, you shouldn't
have to worry about it.

> Spoke too soon on the wget matter. Since setting a LANG variable in the
> first place (and evidently the right place, or else this wouldn't be a
> "matter"), I've been seeing garbage text -- I prefer to call it "drone text"
> -- in place of quotation marks during normal (non-verbose and not set to
> "quiet") downloads. Here's a sample:
>>
>> Saving to: ÃâÅgae77-7748-244-958stck.jpgÃâ

That looks like wget is using UTF-8 yet your terminal is using
ISO-8859-1. The Cygwin console as well as all the terminals shipped
with Cygwin (except for rxvt) use UTF-8 by default. With other
terminals, you might have to select it somewhere in their options.

Andy