Re: default text mode

On Jun 30 12:22, Jan LÃbbe wrote:
> Am 28.06.2010 17:03, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >The advice is given in the /etc/fstab file itself:
> >
> >   # For a description of the file format, see the Users Guide
> >   # http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
> >

> >Corinna
> >

> Which part in that description do you mean? I only find:
>
> >Note that entries for /, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib are never generated.

Looks like you didn't really *read* the section I was refering you to.
What about this paragraph:

  A correct root directory is quite essential to the operation of
  Cygwin. [...]

or this:

  /usr/bin and /usr/lib  are by default also automatic mount points [...]

or this:

  Note that you don't have to specify an fstab entry for the root dir [...]

> How can I check wether the files are written to /tmp? In one
> directory I got the error
>
> >sed: preserving permissions for `./sedBHiGtF': Permission denied
>
> which seems to indicate, that the file is not moved to /tmp, right?

Right.  Looks like you're using sed to do in-place editing...

[...time passes...]

Hmm.

[...more time passes...]

This looks like some kind of Cygwin-specific problem.  To create the
temporary file, sed calls the mkstemp function.  In Cygwin, this
function *always* opens the temporary file in binary mode, even if it's
on a textmode mount.  This has been done so since 2006.  The reason is
that otherwise applications, which write binary files (a compiler for
instance) would create broken results on textmode mounts.

Since the mkstemp function has no flags parameter, this is an unsolvable
problem.  Changing that back to use the mount mode would potentially
break lots of applications.  While, on the other hand, writing LF output
instead of CRLF does not spoil the content of textfiles.  There's always
a way to convert this to CRLF again, u2d.  Or, don't use in-place
editing.

In the long run I guess I'll add a mkstemp function to sed which opens
the file in the mode of the underlying mount point.  I added that to
my already much too long todo list.

Corinna

Red Hat