Re: Executing bash script in cygwin to test correctness ?

On 5/25/2010 6:21 AM, Dhondt, Edwin wrote:
> Can I use cygwin to test whether a bash script is correct and therefore whether it will function on the eventual real target "unix" production platform ?
> E.g. (see below),  I've got a configuration file and a shell script (that's referencing the configuration file).
> Will I be able to execute the xyz.sh script in cygwin on WinXP without having to change the filepath of the X_DIR variable ?
> That is will I be able to use cygwin on winxp to fully test the script so that I'm sure it will run without any problems on the eventual real target unix platform ?

In general, no, you cannot test something on Cygwin and expect it to run
flawlessly on any other platform, but that's generally true of any
environment.  There are always differences between environments which
may or may not have an effect on the validity of your results.  Maybe
those differences won't affect your script's operation, but you'll need
understand how Cygwin differs from your target environment in order to
make that call.

The example you provided looks like it should work under Cygwin, but
you'll only *really* know if it works in your target environment by
testing it there.

-Jeremy