Re: Cygwin visual brand

> As far as the current logo, it has served the project well but it
> definitely looks dated. [3]  It's basically a two-color unaliased
> bitmap that harkens back to icons of 1980's and 1990's.  My personal
> preference for a new logo would be an evolution of the current design.
>  Ideally it would scale, perhaps with modifications, to work from
> small sizes (for a window titlebar) to large (for the website, e.g.).
> The historical evolution of the Mozilla Firefox logo might provide
> some guidance. [4][5][6]
>
> Or we could go in a completely new direction.  For what it's worth,
> I've been using Cygwin for years and had no idea about the hippo
> artwork.
>
> -David
>
> [1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00700.html
> [2] http://cygwin.codecamel.com/
> [3] http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-icon.gif
> [4] http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/logo/download.html
> [5] http://www.actsofvolition.com/archive/2004/february/brandingmozilla
> [6] http://www.actsofvolition.com/files/mozillabranding/

Just personally I LIKE the ASCII art hippo. It demonstrates
an ability to use primitive and CONCISE represntations
for information - captures the essence without the
extraneous junk. Today we are seeing lots of bloated
things cause disruptions- bw wasting apps killed ATT with
iPhone for example- and trying to do anything with windoze
always seems to stick you with waste that actually makes
automation harder- like replacing ssh with remote desktop.

If pointing could replace a tractable alphabet and elaborate
cave drawings could replace equations and computer code
I may agree with you but you don't want to obscure the
raison d'etre of the site. How much ASCII art do you see these days?

> --

marchywka@gmail.com
note new address 2009-12-16:
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: hotmail is censoring incoming mail using random criteria beyond
my control and often hangs my browser
but all my subscriptions are here..., try also marchywka@yahoo.com