Re: queries on Environment and Services before 1.5 -> 1.7 upgrade

On Apr 28 14:16, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 4/28/2010 1:07 PM, Lester Ingber wrote:
> > I have some questions prior to upgrading from 1.5.25-15 to 1.7
> > (currently 1.7.5-1) with respect to Environment and Services.
> >
> > I already am aware that after the upgrade I should run
> > /bin/copy-user-registry-fstab
> > presumably in my first console shell.

Don't worry too much.

> I believe that step is only necessary if you have custom mount points
> which you would like to preserve.  If you don't have custom mount
> points, you can skip this.

Right, and even if you added more mount points it depends on whether you
installed them as system or as user mount points.  Only if you had user
mount points you *can* run /bin/copy-user-registry-fstab.  Or you just
add them manually to your /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab.d/$USER file, per
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

How do you know you have user mount points?  Just call `mount' in
Cygwin 1.5:

  $ mount | grep 'type user'

If it prints one or more paths, you have user mount pounts.

> > Are there any other common settings I should change before upgrading?  I
> > did look at the docs, but did not notice anything else.
>
> I'm not aware of any other steps you need to perform, but if you're at
> all concerned about losing what you currently have, it would be a great
> idea to make a backup of your current Cygwin installation before you
> upgrade.

Or, you can install Cygwin 1.7 in parallel into another directory and
keep your 1.5 installation until you feel confident.

Corinna

Red Hat