make install permission issue

Hi,

I'm trying to build dspam in cygwin after some changes in the build
scripts it compiled but now I'm trying to install it using make install
and this fails.
I get the following error:
/usr/bin/install: cannot change permissions of <file>: Permission
denied

I've tried to change the permission of a file manually and both chmod
and chown succeeded although chown changes aren't shown by ls -l.

Am I missing something or why can I change the permissions manually but
the install can't?

Regards
Andrwe