Cygwin def ault insta llation: c ommand not found‏

Hi,

Cygwin is terrific software. I use it all the time. However, I found a
strange installation problem that I want to share with you. I have a
brand new image of WinXP on my system. This image is company provided. I
 got it only this morning and I installed some software since;
notepad++, google earth, skype etc.

When downloading cygwin by its install program, it stalled. I tried
again a few times. Eventually, Cygwin got installed. When I typed simple
 commands like ls or cp, the standard answer of the shell would be
"command not found". I could solve it by creating a file named profile
in C:\cygwin\etc with contents

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:.:$PATH"

Perhaps something went wrong in the beta release? Note that this problem
 reproduces very well on my system, so I want to share it with you. I
have seen lots of discouraging of posting messages on the cygwin pages.
However, I could not find this issue anywhere on the internet. If you
think this message is not smart or otherwise undesired, please ignore.

Thank you, kind regards, Matthijs.