Re: File permissions on samba network share

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> > > This lets the script execute, but I am a little bit worried about the other
> > > permissions, "-rw-r--r--" instead of "-rwxrw----".
> > >
> > > Why are the permissions different?
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
> >
> > > Is there a way of preserving the original permissions and still fake the
> > > user/group info as with "noacl"?
> >
> > No.  Since you're not using AD accounts and no winbind, the ACL returned
> > by Samba reflect the UNIX user and UNIX group the file is owned by.
> > I don't think there's a reliable way to convert the SIDs in the ACL to
> > the current user and primary group, except for another mount flag.
>
> On second thought, it would still be a lot of work to get this working
> right.  The mount flag alone doesn't tell us which UNIX SID the Windows
> user SID is mapped to.  So you would need to set up some mapping file
> which Cygwin would have to read at startup, or the passwd file would
> need YA special case for the pw_gecos field.  Ick.
>
> Corinna

Sorry I forgot to mention that the permissions on the Linux machine running the
Samba server are more similar to the ones when I mount the network drive without
the "noacl" option in Cygwin.

This is the ls line from the Linux machine:
-rwxrw----  1 chris tech 1014 Dec 15 14:16 amssetup

On Cygwin without "noacl":
-rwxrw---- 1 ???????? ???????? 1014 2009-12-15 14:16 amssetup

On Cygwin with "noacl"
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris None 1014 2009-12-15 14:16 amssetup

So apart from the ???????? entries, I think going without the "noacl" option
would be the way to go. But I will give it a try with "noacl" and see if it has
any undesired side-effects.

Thanks
Chris