Re: File permissions on samba network share

On Mar 25 09:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 25 06:50, Chris wrote:
> > Dear fellow Cygwinners,
> >
> > I use Cygwin to work on a samba network drive and am unable to execute bash
> > scripts from there because "bash: ./amssetup: Permission denied". I think this
> > is due to the missing owner/group info:
> >
> > $ ls -l amssetup
> > -rwxrw---- 1 ???????? ???????? 1014 2009-12-15 14:16 amssetup
> >
> > If I mount this network drive using the "noacl" option, it looks like this:
> >
> > $ ls -l amssetup
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 chris None 1014 2009-12-15 14:16 amssetup
> >
> > This lets the script execute, but I am a little bit worried about the other
> > permissions, "-rw-r--r--" instead of "-rwxrw----".
> >
> > Why are the permissions different?
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
>
> > Is there a way of preserving the original permissions and still fake the
> > user/group info as with "noacl"?
>
> No.  Since you're not using AD accounts and no winbind, the ACL returned
> by Samba reflect the UNIX user and UNIX group the file is owned by.
> I don't think there's a reliable way to convert the SIDs in the ACL to
> the current user and primary group, except for another mount flag.

On second thought, it would still be a lot of work to get this working
right.  The mount flag alone doesn't tell us which UNIX SID the Windows
user SID is mapped to.  So you would need to set up some mapping file
which Cygwin would have to read at startup, or the passwd file would
need YA special case for the pw_gecos field.  Ick.

Corinna

Red Hat