1.7.1: cvs version built in is unstable

The built in version of CVS is the "unstable" feature release version 1.12.13

I am having problems with CVS that I never had before I upgraded cygwin to 1.7.1.

Namely:?

The situation:
I check out a module of my repository (located on a remote machine) and a handful of files do not get downloaded due to the "no such file" error described below.? I then try to update the same module and get the same error on the same files.? I check it out again and get exactly the same response on exactly the same files.
I have checked the permissions on the files in the repository.
I have removed some watches that were on some of the files.

Bottom line:
I have a very repeatable problem with no evidence of a cause I've found.

Has anybody seen this before?

How do I "downgrade" CVS within cygwin down to the "stable" release 1.11.23 ?

-Kevin