segmentation fault in /sbin/init from sysvinit package under 1.7.1

Hi

When running the cygwin 1.5 version under 1.7.1 there is a segmentation
violation showing up

INIT: version 2.86 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.
INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.
INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.

and the rc.d scripts do not get executed also it seems init is still
running. Recompiling the sysvinit package under 1.7.1 doesn't help.

I tried to debug the situation and the culprit seems to be line 2075 in
the function call check_init_fifo in init.c:

main
init_main
check_init_fifo

  /* Wait for data to appear, _if_ the pipe was opened. */
  if (pipe_fd >= 0) while(!quit) {

	/* Do select, return on EINTR. */
	FD_ZERO(&fds);
	FD_SET(pipe_fd, &fds);
	tv.tv_sec = 5;
	tv.tv_usec = 0;
	n = select(pipe_fd + 1, &fds, NULL, NULL, &tv);              	<----------- 2075
	if (n <= 0) {
		if (n == 0 || errno == EINTR) return;
		continue;
	}

I'm lost here and would need a little help. init.exe is just one source
code file. init runs fine under 1.5

Ciao
  Volker