Re: ssh + patch + $TMP

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:04:19AM +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

>Larry Hall (Cygwin) a ??crit :
>>
>> On 02/19/2010 07:12 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Well, here's the revised list of what I think should be kept:
>>>
>>>    ALLUSERSPROFILE
>>>    COMPUTERNAME
>>>    COMSPEC
>>>    CYGWIN
>>>    OS
>>>    PATH
>>>    PATHEXT
>>>    SYSTEMDRIVE
>>>    SYSTEMROOT
>>>    WINDIR
>>>
>>> Can we agree on that?
>>
>> OK by me.
>
>IMHO, cygwin may be use to remotely launch windows programs, whatever
>they are, they may also need all the others "legacy" windows
>environment variable, so, they should not go.

I would really bet that there aren't many programs out there which rely
on those environment variables.  Just asserting that this is needed
doesn't really advance the conversation at all since you're just a lone
voice with no credentials which would give your opinion weight.  If
you have specific examples then please provide them.

If this was truly like linux then I believe that most, if not all, of
the environment would come from settings in the shell itself.  So, in
thinking about this more, I think we could probably get away with
deleting everything.

If someone wanted to run a program which relied on those variables they
could always set them themselves.

cgf