bind returns error Socket operation on non-socket

This is what I get when I use 'dig'.

/usr/src/ports/net/bind/bind-9.6.0_p1-1/src/bind-9.6.0-P1/lib/isc/unix/socket.c:4525: bind: Socket operation on non-socket
dig: isc_socket_bind: unexpected error

It seems Cygwin also has a version of nslookup which also gives the same
error.  Windows version of nslookup functions normally.

This is not the first time I had dig return an error.  During my
searches I found one solution which was to add /etc/resolv.conf with
nameserver defined.  This worked for the first time I had an error with
dig as did the third.  However, it has not fixed my issue on my second
machine.  To clarify;

First computer:  Windows XP.  Updated to Cygwin 1.7.1 and added bind.
Added resolv.conf to fix problem

Second computer: Windows XP 64bit.  This is my current problem.  I
removed old installation and installed current Cygwin version.

Third computer:  Windows 7 64 bit.  Adding resolv.conf fixed the problem.

I looked at Windows event viewer and found this when dig was executed.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( libW11 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: libW11: PID 3984: XOpenDisplay.

I use rxvt (I still get the error when using the installed bash shortcut),
I do not have Xwin installed and do not know why it refers to
XOpenDisply.  libW11.dll is in /bin and /usr/bin

I've searched for this issue, other then the resolv.conf solution,
people refered to an older post which I have not been able to find the
information I need (no solution).

I've attached cygcheck ouput.

Thank you,

Durwin