Re: 1.7.0-51: Problem using ssh public/private key authentication

On 12/24/2009 07:55 AM, THW Mark wrote:

Renà Berber-2 wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

$ cygrunsrv -E sshd
$ /usr/sbin/sshd -ddde

And there you are creating the problem... or another problem: the service runs as a special user, when you run it yourself its running as your user so, if it works, that means you have permissions set to run as your user not the service user. Did that made sense? or I managed to make something simple into some obscure fact.

I can confirm that running sshd as a local user indeed works. (for a one time connection). So, the solution must be with access rights to one or more files. Suggestions are very welcome here..

In order to get this working, you'll need to undo what you have done. You can either:

1. Audit ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config to reset all the permissions and
state back to the default.

2. Remove Cygwin and reinstall, running ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config
once "openssh" has been installed and after reading /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/
openssh*. If that doesn't work, then before fiddling, read and follow the
problem reporting guidelines found at the link below to report the issue
here. Then someone here may be able to help you track down the
problem.

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Holliston, MA 01746