Wide Char Support

I've seen mixed messages on the web regarding wide character support
(ie. wchar_t, wint_t ...) coming in Cygwin 1.7. There have been places
where instructions are given on how to build. There are other places
where it says 1.7 will have it built in. But I haven't found anything
explicit at this point from Cygwin.

I have a need to port an
application already running on RHEL5 to Cygwin that uses wide character
support. I don't want to waste my time rebuilding 1.5.x with wide
character support if 1.7 will have it.

Any ideas regarding support will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
John W. Hosie III
(301) 509 1089