Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Angelo Graziosi
<angelo.graziosi@alice.it> wrote:
> Robert Pendell wrote:
>>
>> P.S. - On linux (when I tested) TEMP, TMP, and TMPDIR were not set and
>> patch defaulted to /tmp.
>
> I noticed that too...
>
> Ken Brown wrote:
>>
>> That's precisely why I suggested unsetting TEMP and TMP in /etc/profile.
>> Then things should work as in linux.
>
> Indeed. But a question emerges: what does it happen if one starts a Windows
> application, which needs TEMP or TMP, from Cygwin?
>
> For example, GSview (*) can view ps.bz2 or pdf.bz2 files uncompressing them
> into $TEMP, so it fails if TEMP is not defined, and
>
> $ gsview foo.pdf.bz2
>
> is broken!
>
> This is only an example of problems which can emerge unsetting TEMP.
>
> Ciao,
> Angelo.

Actually I had thought about that and I found that if you
intentionally unset all the variables it defaults back to the system
defined one which is dependent on the current user in Windows.
Basically what TEMP and TMP is defined to in Windows itself.  This is
like the behavior in Linux.