Re: Cygwin 1.5 vs 1.7: speed

On Oct 28 12:37, Roland Schwingel wrote:
> Any clues? I just made an additional test compiling stock
> libxml2-2.6.32 using the stock gcc3 coming with both cygwin versions
> and I am coming to roughly the same numbers. Is 1.7 truly slower
> than 1.5 or aren't all final optimizations done right now?

Whether 1.7 is faster or slower depends on what you're doing and on what
OS you're running.  For instance, scanning local directories is about
60% faster in 1.7 while starting lots of processes is about 10% slower
on Vista but about 5% faster on XP, according to my testing.  Further
optimization will be a task for post-1.7.1, while for 1.7.1 itself we're
looking primarily for functionality.

Having said that, if you find source code in Cygwin which could be
improved, feel free to point it out.

Corinna

Red Hat