Re: Installing 1.7 alongside 1.5 - can it be done safely?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep 29 03:11, Dave Korn wrote:

>>   You get precisely one chance and once chance only to make setup-1.7 perform
>> a parallel installation for you.  The very first time you ever run it you must
>> select a new installation dir, and a new local package cache dir, and
>> successfully make it to the end of the installation run *without ever pressing
>> back or canceling out and restarting*.
>
> That's a bit too much.  The really important part you must get right in
> the first try is to enter the correct Root Directory in the "Choose
> Installation Directory" dialog.  Due to the way Setup works, if you
> forgot to set the directory and press "Next" it's too late.  In that
> case, cancel Setup and restart it.  Usually that should do it, though
> I didn't try that for quite a long time...

  Ah, I had a horribly frustrating time trying to get it to not upgrade one of
my installations once after I had accidentally gone as far as the chooser
page, and got a bit cargo-culty when setup seemed to still know about my 1.5
installation despite having done everything I could think of to hide it, so my
advice erred on the side of ludicrously over-cautious.

>> (*) - The current plan I think is to withdraw the side-by-side install
>> facility when 1.7 leaves beta and 1.5 is officially retired
>
> No, not really.  It doesn't hurt to keep it.

  Oh, good news :)

    cheers,
      DaveK