Re: Bug or feature missing in rsync.

Linda Walsh wrote:
> However the local rsync was build without the external attribute support.

Yes, configure fails to detect it, with the following error:

configure:8048: checking for __facl
configure:8048: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest.exe -O2 -pipe
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -W   conftest.c -lpopt -liconv  >&5
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/SSHD_S~1.000/LOCALS~1/Temp/cc0LUGb0.o:conftest.c:(.text+0x17):
undefined reference to `___facl'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> There's even extended attributes on NT.  So I can't see why the decision was
> made not to include such support from the beginning...
>
> Reasoning on this?
>
> Can a new version be compiled with these features in?

Not a decision at all: it simply isn't detected as is and so far nobody
wrote a patch to have it working... (me included)

> I asked about it on the NT list, and I was asked why rsync wasn't using
> getextattr/setextattr under cygwin, as they said they were present.

What's "the NT list"?
Anyways, the reason is nothing more arcane than "configure doesn't
detect it".

> Should it be a reconfig and recompile?

No, more likely a "RTFM regarding facl support in Cygwin" +
"write a patch" + reconfig + recompile...

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

âWe can factor the number 15 with quantum computers. We can also factor
the number 15 with a dog trained to bark three times.â (Robert Harley,
sci.crypt, 2001-12-05)